11/15/08

Is he yankin my chain? A conversation with Jack


Bear with me. I'm not a good story teller and please forgive me the punctuation but I need to recap a conversation with my Jack while in the Target parking lot today. As I was putting his seat belt on, Jack said, "No mom, I want a crop (cop) to stop us. What do you think he will really do?" (Naturally I try to instill fear by telling him I could go to jail or have to pay a lot of money, so he will keep his belt on. Apparently he's not buying.) So again I tell him that if a cop stopped us and he did not have his seat belt on I would have to pay a lot of money and the cop would tell me I wasn't being a good mom. Jack says, "But I think your a REALLY good mom!" Why do you think I'm a good mom, I ask. "Oh, because you bought me that ornament I wanted." Well how about because I cook you good foods, tell you bed-time stories, give you a bath, keep you safe. "Yes! Of course! And also because you put me in time-out sometimes." Oh really. Why does that make me a good mom? I ask. "Because, you know, sometimes I just need a time-out. Sometimes it's just good to take a break and be alone to think."
WHAT?? Is he kidding me? Who fed him that line? I just had to write that one down some place semi-permanent to never let him forget...

4 comments:

Elise said...

Where's this kid come up with that stuff?

Analia and Co. said...

Jack makes me laugh! He is so smart!

natalie said...

He's so cute and very wise! I'll always remember when I was helping in the nursery one day and I was talking with Jack about octopus's. I made the mistake of saying that an octopus had eight legs. He quickly corrected me by informing me that an octopus doesn't have legs, they have tentacles. The look of "this lady is a moron" he gave me was priceless. :)

april said...

@nat - i think i've had that exact same experience with jack. must be that fish/ocean animals puzzle.

@jennah - i'll second, jack. you're a fabulous mom!